Douglas College is a leading public post-secondary institution located in New Westminster and Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada. Established in 1970, the college offers a wide range of programs to over 25,000 students each year. With a strong focus on academic excellence and career-oriented education, Douglas College has become a top destination for international students seeking quality education.
At Douglas College, international students are welcomed with open arms and provided with an inclusive and supportive learning environment. The college values diversity and promotes cultural exchange among its students from all around the world. This makes it an ideal choice for those looking to experience a multicultural atmosphere while pursuing their educational goals.
The college offers more than 700 courses across various disciplines including Arts, Sciences, Business Administration, Criminology, Health Sciences and Social Sciences. Students can choose from certificate programs that take one year to complete or diploma programs which usually require two years of study. Additionally, Douglas College also offers bachelor’s degrees in select fields such as Nursing and Child & Youth Care.
One of the highlights of studying at Douglas College is its small class sizes which allow for personalized attention from professors and fosters interactive learning among students. The faculty at Douglas consists of highly qualified professionals who bring extensive knowledge and industry experience into the classroom. This ensures that students not only receive theoretical knowledge but also practical insights relevant to their field of study.
Moreover, Douglas College provides ample opportunities for hands-on learning through its state-of-the-art facilities such as science labs, computer labs , and a student-run restaurant. The college also has partnerships with various organizations and businesses in the community, providing students with valuable networking opportunities and real-world experience through co-op placements, internships, and work-study programs.
In addition to its academic offerings, Douglas College also boasts a vibrant campus life. There are over 50 student-led clubs and organizations on campus that cater to diverse interests and provide students with opportunities to meet like-minded individuals. The college also hosts various events throughout the year, including cultural celebrations, sports tournaments, and career fairs.
Douglas College offers a variety of scholarships specifically designed for international students who are looking to pursue their higher education in Canada. These scholarships aim to recognize and support exceptional students from all over the world, providing them with financial assistance to help cover their tuition fees and living expenses.
Types of International Student Scholarships Available at Douglas College
1. Entrance Scholarships:
Entrance scholarships are awarded to new international students who have outstanding academic achievements (usually above 80% average) in their previous studies. These scholarships range from $1,000 to $5,000 CAD and are renewable for up to three years based on maintaining a minimum GPA requirement.
2. International Student Tuition Fee Scholarship:
This scholarship is available for both undergraduate and graduate international students who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement (80% or higher) in their previous studies. It covers up to 50% of the tuition fees for one year.
3. World Education Services (WES) Scholarship:
This scholarship is open to all newly admitted international students who have completed WES credential evaluation as part of their admission process at Douglas College. The value of this scholarship varies depending on the program chosen by the recipient but can cover up to 50% of tuition fees for one year.
4. International Undergraduate Student Entrance Scholarship:
This scholarship is specifically for international students entering the undergraduate program at Douglas College. It covers up to 50% of tuition fees for one year based on academic achievement and financial need.
5.Continuing Education Student Scholarship:
This scholarship is available to international students enrolled in Continuing Education courses at Douglas College. It covers up to $500 CAD towards tuition fees.
6.British Columbia International Student Ambassador Scholarship:
This scholarship is awarded to exceptional full-time international students who are actively engaged in promoting Douglas College and the British Columbia community. The value of this scholarship ranges from $1,000 to $5,000 CAD.
In addition to these scholarships, there are also external awards and opportunities available for international students at Douglas College, such as government scholarships, bursaries, and awards sponsored by organizations or businesses.
To be considered for any of these scholarships, you must first apply and be admitted to a full-time program at Douglas College. Most of these scholarships require applicants to demonstrate academic excellence and may have specific criteria related to financial need or community involvement.
Click Here to get full list of programs and courses offered.
Benefits of Receiving a Scholarship from Douglas College
- Financial Support
- Recognition and Prestige
- Educational Opportunities
- Personal Growth
- Competitive Edge
1. Citizenship: To be eligible for the Douglas College International Student Scholarships, applicants must hold a valid citizenship from a country outside of Canada. This includes both permanent residents and international students who are studying in Canada on study permits.
2. Academic Merit: The scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence, which is determined by a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or equivalent at the post-secondary level. Applicants must provide official transcripts from their current or previous educational institutions to prove their academic performance.
3. Enrolled in Full-time Studies: All applicants must be enrolled in full-time studies at Douglas College during the term they are applying for the scholarship. Full-time studies refer to taking a minimum of 9 credits per semester for undergraduate programs and 6 credits per semester for graduate programs.
4. Program of Study: The Douglas College International Student Scholarships are open to students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees at the college. Eligible programs include Bachelor’s degrees, diploma programs, post-degree diplomas, and graduate certificates offered by Douglas College.
5. English Language Proficiency: As all courses at Douglas College are taught in English, international students whose first language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English through standardized tests such as IELTS or TOE FL. Minimum score requirements vary depending on the program of study.
6. Financial Need: Some scholarship awards may take into consideration the financial need of applicants, in addition to academic merit. This is typically indicated in the application criteria and may require applicants to provide evidence of financial need, such as bank statements or a personal statement.
It is important to research and apply for scholarships that align with your academic goals and financial needs. The official website of Douglas College has a comprehensive list of available scholarships for international students, along with their eligibility requirements and application deadlines. Additionally, you can also search for external scholarship opportunities through online databases such as ScholarshipPortal and StudyinCanada.com.
How to Apply for the Scholarships
1. Know Your Eligibility Criteria:
The first step in applying for any scholarship is to determine if you are eligible. The eligibility criteria for the Douglas College International Student Scholarships vary depending on the specific scholarship program you are interested in. It is crucial to carefully read and understand all the requirements before starting your application process.
2. Research Available Scholarships:
Douglas College offers various scholarships to international students based on their academic achievements, financial need, country of origin, and program of study. Take some time to research and identify which scholarship(s) you qualify for and align with your educational goals.
3. Gather Required Documentation:
Most scholarship applications require supporting documents such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, essays or personal statements, proof of English proficiency (if applicable), among others. Start gathering these documents early on to avoid any last-minute rush.
4. Pay Attention to Deadlines:
Each scholarship has its own deadline; therefore it is essential to carefully note down all the deadlines for each scholarship you plan on applying for. Missing a deadline can result in an automatic disqualification from consideration.
5. Understand Application Process:
It is important to familiarize yourself with the application process for each scholarship program you are interested in. Some scholarships may require you to complete an online application, while others may require you to submit a paper application. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the scholarship provider.
6. Fill Out the Application Form:
Once you have gathered all the required documents and are familiar with the application process, it is time to fill out the application form. Be sure to provide accurate and detailed information as any mistakes or incomplete information could affect your chances of being selected for the scholarship. Click Here to access the application Form.
7. Write a Strong Personal Statement:
Many scholarship applications require applicants to write a personal statement or essay that showcases their academic achievements, career goals, and why they deserve to receive the scholarship. Take your time and put effort into writing a strong and compelling statement that will make your application stand out.
8. Submit Your Application:
After completing all the necessary steps, double check all your documents for accuracy and submit them with your application to the mailing address: Mailing: Douglas College International Admissions Room 2800
700 Royal Ave
New Westminster BC, V3M 5Z5 Canada
9. Applicant are to pay an application fee of CAD 100 to the scholarship portal and submit the receipt together with the application form and documents. Payments are made through Flywire Payment Portal for Douglas College: douglascollege.flywire.com. Mind you, payments are nonrefundable. But before payments confirm from email@example.com program availability.
It ends mostly January 31st, May 31st, September 30th yearly.