The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program is an incredible opportunity for young student athletes across the United States. This program was created in 2011 by the Foot Locker Foundation, Inc. as a way to give back to the community and support the academic and athletic pursuits of high school seniors.
The main goal of this program is to recognize and reward exceptional students who not only excel in sports but also demonstrate strong leadership skills, academic excellence, and a commitment to their communities. The program provides financial assistance to these outstanding individuals so they can pursue higher education at accredited four-year colleges or universities.
Each year, twenty deserving students are chosen as Foot Locker Scholar Athletes based on their academic achievements, athletic abilities, and community involvement. These scholars receive a $20,000 scholarship towards their college tuition fees. Since its inception, the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program has awarded over $3 million in college scholarships.
One of the unique aspects of this program is that it recognizes student athletes from all types of sports from basketball and football to cross country and swimming showcasing a diverse range of talents and interests. This inclusivity promotes a sense of unity among participants as they celebrate each other’s accomplishments.
20 Foot Locker Scholar athletes, depending on their college program can receive up to $20,000 Scholarship money for their excellence in their their sports team and communities.
The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program not only recognizes the hard work and dedication of student athletes but also inspires them to continue excelling in all aspects of their lives. It serves as a reminder that with determination, passion, and perseverance, anything is possible.
Benefits of Being a Scholar Athlete
1. Academic Success:
One of the main benefits of being a scholar athlete is academic success. By participating in sports, students learn valuable skills such as time management, discipline, and teamwork that can be applied to their academic studies. According to a study by The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), student athletes have higher graduation rates compared to non-athletes. This is because they are held accountable for maintaining good grades in order to remain eligible to compete.
The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program recognizes and celebrates academic achievement by providing financial support for college tuition. Each year, 20 outstanding high school seniors are awarded $20,000 towards their education based on their academic excellence, leadership skills, and community involvement.
2. Personal Development:
Participating in sports not only improves physical health but also contributes to personal development. As a scholar athlete, individuals have the opportunity to challenge themselves physically and mentally on a regular basis which leads to increased self-confidence and resilience.
Moreover, being part of a team teaches important life skills such as communication, cooperation, and conflict resolution all essential for success in any field . The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program recognizes the importance of these qualities and looks for individuals who demonstrate leadership skills and a commitment to their community.
3. Opportunities for College:
Being a scholar athlete can also open doors for college opportunities. Colleges and universities often look for well-rounded students with a balance of academic achievement and extracurricular involvement. Being a standout athlete can make an individual more attractive to college admissions, especially if they also excel academically.
4. Physical Health:
Participating in sports also has numerous physical health benefits. Regular exercise has been linked to improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle strength, and reduced risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes and obesity.
The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program promotes physical activity by partnering with non-profit organizations like Girls on the Run and Win-Win to provide resources and access to sports programs in underserved communities.
5. Networking Opportunities:
Becoming a scholar athlete also opens up networking opportunities that can be beneficial in the long run. Through sports, individuals have the chance to meet and form relationships with coaches, teammates, and other athletes from different schools and backgrounds. These connections can lead to mentorship, internship opportunities, and future career prospects.
Moreover, through the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program, recipients have the unique opportunity to attend a leadership conference where they can network with fellow scholar athletes, past scholarship winners, and industry professionals.
To be eligible for the 2024 Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be a legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
2. They must currently be a high school senior attending a public or private high school in the United States.
3. Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
4. Applicants must participate in an eligible athletic activity (as defined by Foot Locker).
5. Also they must plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school in the U.S.
The application process for the 2024 Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program is as follows:
1. Online Application: Interested applicants must submit their applications online through the program’s official website during the open application period.
2. Personal Information: Applicants will need to provide personal information such as name, address, contact information, and academic history.
3. Demographic Information: Applicants will also be asked to provide demographic information such as race/ethnicity and family income level.
4. Athletic Participation: As part of the application process, applicants will be required to provide details about their participation in sports activities and how it has impacted their lives.
5. Academic Achievements: In addition to providing information about their academic background, applicants will also need to submit transcripts and standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) as proof of their academic achievements.
6. Letter of Recommendation: Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach, or mentor who can speak to their character and potential for success.
7. Personal Essay: Applicants will be required to write a 500-word essay on how participating in sports has influenced their personal growth and future goals.
After the application period ends, all submitted applications will be reviewed by a selection committee. The selection committee will evaluate each application based on academic achievements, athletic participation, personal essay, and letters of recommendation. Finalists will then be selected for interviews with the selection committee.
Winners and Awards:
A total of 20 winners will be chosen from all finalists. Each winner will receive $20,000 towards their college education over the course of four years ($5,000 per year). Additionally, winners will also receive mentorship opportunities and access to career development resources through Foot Locker and its partners.
All applicants will be notified about their status via email by June 2024. Winners’ names will also be posted on the program’s website.
The application deadline for the 2024 Foot Locker Scholar Athletes Program will be announced on the program’s website.