The University of Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a prestigious and highly competitive scholarship program that provides fully funded opportunities for outstanding students from all around the world to pursue their postgraduate studies at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. It was established in 2000 through a generous donation from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, with the aim of creating a network of future leaders who are committed to improving the lives of others through research, innovation, and leadership.
The scholarship covers all tuition fees, living expenses, airfare, and several other benefits such as academic development funding, family allowance, and fieldwork grants. This makes it one of the most sought after scholarships in the world for students looking to pursue their higher education at one of the top universities.
One unique aspect of this scholarship is its emphasis on social responsibility and making a positive impact on society. The Gates Cambridge Scholars are expected to use their knowledge and skills to contribute towards addressing global challenges such as poverty alleviation, disease control, environmental sustainability, and social justice.
The University of Cambridge itself needs no introduction it is consistently ranked among the top universities globally and has produced numerous Nobel laureates and influential figures throughout history. Studying at this esteemed institution not only offers a world-class education but also provides access to cutting-edge research facilities and resources that can help shape one’s career path.
Furthermore, being a part of this vibrant community gives scholars access to a diverse range of cultural experiences with students from over 120 countries studying together. This allows for a unique and enriched learning environment and fosters global connections and collaborations.
History and Background of the Scholarship
The idea for this scholarship came about when Bill Gates gave a speech at Harvard University in 1997, expressing his belief that talented individuals from all over the world should have access to quality education at top universities like Cambridge. He envisioned this scholarship as an opportunity for exceptional students to pursue their academic dreams without financial barriers.
Since its inception, the Gates Cambridge Scholarship has become one of the most competitive and sought-after scholarships in the world. Every year, only around 80 scholars are selected out of thousands of applicants from over 160 countries. This makes it more selective than even some Ivy League universities.
To date, there are over 2,000 Gates Cambridge Scholars who come from diverse backgrounds and fields of study. They have gone on to become leaders in various industries such as politics, science, arts, business, and more. Many have also become part of the Gates Alumni community which provides ongoing support and networking opportunities for scholars even after they graduate.
Apart from the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation also supports various other educational initiatives around the world. This includes the Gates Millennium Scholars Program in the United States, which provides scholarships for low-income minority students, and the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, which supports students from Africa to study at universities in Canada and other countries.
Benefits and Coverage of the Fully Funded Scholarship
The benefits of being awarded the Fully Funded Gates Cambridge Scholarship are numerous and can have a significant impact on both your personal and professional life. Here are some of the key benefits:
a) Full Tuition Fee Coverage: The scholarship covers all tuition fees for your chosen course at the University of Cambridge, which can amount up to £30,000 per year for international students.
b) Accommodation Expenses: The scholarship also covers accommodation expenses during your study period at Cambridge. This includes both college or university-provided accommodation as well as privately rented accommodation.
c) Monthly Stipend: In addition to tuition fee coverage, recipients of this scholarship will receive a monthly stipend to cover living costs such as food, transportation, books, etc. The amount varies depending on factors such as marital status and whether you have dependents.
d) Travel Expenses: As an international student studying at Cambridge under this scholarship program, you will also receive travel expenses including flights to and from your home country at the beginning and end of your studies.
e) Health Insurance Coverage: The Gates Cambridge Scholarship also includes health insurance coverage for the entire duration of your studies at Cambridge.
The Fully Funded Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers all costs associated with studying at the University of Cambridge, including:
a) Tuition fees
b) Accommodation expenses
c) Monthly stipend for living expenses
d) Travel expenses to and from your home country
e) Health insurance coverage
The scholarship is awarded for the full duration of your chosen course at the University of Cambridge, which can be up to 4 years for a PhD program, up to 3 years for a Masters program, and up to 6 years for a PhD combined with a Masters program.
To be eligible for the University of Gates Cambridge Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
2. Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (3-year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (2-year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course such as MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma
- MBA (one-year course)
3. Excellent academic record: Applicants must have a first-class honours degree or its equivalent in their undergraduate studies. Those who are currently completing their undergraduate degree should be on track to obtain a first-class honours or its equivalent.
4. Strong academic references: Applicants must have two academic references from individuals who can comment on their academic abilities and potential.
5. Demonstrated leadership potential: The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is looking for individuals who have shown strong leadership skills and have a commitment to improving the lives of others through their work.
6. A clear fit with the chosen program at Cambridge: Applicants must make a compelling case for why they want to pursue their chosen course at the University of Cambridge and how it aligns with their academic and career goals.
7. Fluency in English: As all courses at the University of Cambridge are taught in English, applicants must have a high level of proficiency in the language. Applicants who are non-native English speakers may be required to provide evidence of their English language skills through standardized tests such as IELTS or TOEFL.
8. Course eligibility: The Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers all subjects offered at the University except for courses in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, or Clinical Psychology as these are not open to international students.
The application process for the University of Gates Cambridge Scholarship is highly competitive and consists of several stages:
Step 1: Check Eligibility
Before starting your application, ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria mentioned above.
Step 2: Research Courses
Take time to research and identify which course(s) you are interested in pursuing at the University of Cambridge. Visit here to see courses they don’t offer.
Step 3: Apply Here
Step 4: Register for a Gates Cambridge Scholar account
After receiving the offer of admission from the University of Cambridge, candidates can register for a Gates Cambridge Scholar account on the official website. This will give them access to the online application form.
Step 5: Complete and submit application form
The online application form requires candidates to provide detailed personal and academic information, as well as essays, transcripts, reference letters, and other supporting documents. It is recommended to start working on this early to ensure all required materials are ready before the deadline.
Step 6: Submit your application
Once you have completed and reviewed your application, you can submit it by the designated deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. Selection Process:
The selection process for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship is highly competitive and involves multiple stages:
- Departmental ranking: All eligible applicants are ranked by their desired departments at the University of Cambridge based on academic merit.
- Shortlisting: The top-ranked applicants in each department are shortlisted for the next stage.
- Interview: Shortlisted candidates are invited for an interview with the Gates Cambridge selection committee. This may be conducted in person or via video conference.
- Final selection: After the interview, the selection committee makes a final decision on which candidates will receive the scholarship. All applicants will be notified of their application status by late March or early April.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview either in person or via Skype.
Click Here to find out about the deadlines.